Driving Abroad if we leave with “No Deal”

In the event of the UK leaving the European Union without a deal. It will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

What this means for me when Driving Abroad

In the event the UK leaves the EU without a deal, if you need to drive your vehicles outside the UK you must carry a Green Card if you are driving in an EU or specified EEA country.

The legal requirements of the Green Card system mean anyone driving abroad under a UK insurance policy must carry a physical Green Card. If you intend to tow a trailer or caravan, you must also have a separate Green Card for that.

Green Cards can be requested through our Green Card Request Form. They can be:

  • Emailed directly to you to print locally. However, it must be printed double-sided on green paper,
  • Posted directly to you or a nominated receipient, but please allow up to 30 days for it to arrive.

For your Northern Ireland clients – this is particularly important for clients based in Northern Ireland, as Green Cards will be required to drive into the Republic of Ireland.

For clients wanting to take a trailer or caravan – A separate Green Card is required for any towed vehicle.

Green Cards requested through this website are for clients that have a live insurance policy through Graham Sykes Limited.


DVLA Withdraws Counterpart Driving Licence

You may have read in the press that the DVLA have withdrawn the counterpart driving licence (Paper Endorsement Section) with effect from 8th June 2015. You will no longer be required to keep the counterpart, and any new driving licence applications will be issued without the counterpart.

Insurance companies will still need to validate information that has been supplied to them regarding your policy, and the following procedure will need to be followed.

  • Go to
  • You will need to enter your Driving Licence Number, National Insurance Number and Postcode (Please make sure that you use the postcode that is shown on your photocard driving licence).
  • Once you consent to the DVLA checking your information, you will be presented with your driving licence details. Click on the “Share your licence information” tab
  • Click on the “Create a Code” button, you will be presented with a random code, this code will last for 3 weeks, and can only be used once. Therefore please click on the “view, print or save your licence information” link. This will give you the option to save the file as a PDF.
  • Email the saved PDF file to us to the following email address : quoting your name and address and you client reference number.

Please Note: Each driver on your policy will need to obtain their licence information and follow the above steps.
It’s a criminal offence to obtain someone else’s personal information without their permission.

Download the visual how to here

What to do with your paper counterpart

The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.