Driving Abroad if we leave with “No Deal”

In the event of the UK leaving the European Union without a deal. It will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

What this means for me when Driving Abroad

In the event the UK leaves the EU without a deal, if you need to drive your vehicles outside the UK you must carry a Green Card if you are driving in an EU or specified EEA country.

The legal requirements of the Green Card system mean anyone driving abroad under a UK insurance policy must carry a physical Green Card. If you intend to tow a trailer or caravan, you must also have a separate Green Card for that.

Green Cards can be requested through our Green Card Request Form. They can be:

  • Emailed directly to you to print locally. However, it must be printed double-sided on green paper,
  • Posted directly to you or a nominated receipient, but please allow up to 30 days for it to arrive.

For your Northern Ireland clients – this is particularly important for clients based in Northern Ireland, as Green Cards will be required to drive into the Republic of Ireland.

For clients wanting to take a trailer or caravan – A separate Green Card is required for any towed vehicle.

Green Cards requested through this website are for clients that have a live insurance policy through Graham Sykes Limited.